Thursday, February 1, 2007

I know, I know...

It has been a little while since I last blogged. There has been so much going on in my life that I had to take a reprieve and deal with things before I felt comfortable sitting back down in front of a computer to spew my thoughts and feelings out. I guess I probably could have used a different word besides "spew" but that's what I first thought of, and sometimes a good thoughts/feelings spewing is needed. Well, this blog has now changed directions completely. I was going to talk about how I've been since I had to euthanize one of my dogs. But, I just got a call from my mom who told me that my uncle Wayne, her brother, has pancreatic cancer. She really didn't understand the gravity of the situation. She tried to pronounce the type of cancer he has, and as soon as she tried to say the long medical word, my heart immediately sank down into my belly. Sometime it sucks knowing what I know about medicine! To put it bluntly, pancreatic cancer lends a grave prognosis. I had to be honest and up-front with my mom...I told her that pancreatic cancer is bad news. She then started crying and I tried to tell her to not lose hope and to be strong! Miracles can happen! She had to get off the phone and I told her that I'm here for her if she needs anything. I then called my uncle Gary in Jacksonville, FL who is a doctor and talked to him a while. You see, Wayne underwent surgery today at the hospital where Gary works, and they had to perform a very difficult procedure to take out his pancreas and they had to take out his kidney as well. Gary spoke to Wayne's surgeon and he told me that Wayne actually had 2 primary cancers - the one in his pancreas and he had a separate type of cancer in his kidney. The picture being painted becomes more grim in my head.

So...now I'm back to the age-old question, "Why God?" Then I immediately thought of Job who said, "Though he slay me, still I will trust him!" Oh how I long for the day when cancer no longer kills. I believe that day is coming. But for now, please join me in asking God for His power and glory to be displayed in the healing of Wayne. God longs to heal. God longs to display His glory. I'm reminded of a passage in Mark 1 (v. 40-42) where a man with leprosy comes up to Jesus and says, "If you are willing, you can make me clean." It then says, Jesus, being FILLED with compassion, says "I am willing." Our God is a compassionate God! He is capable of the impossible and is willing to DO the impossible! So to those who read this blog, please pray for Wayne and his wife Sue. Also, lift up my mom's family during this difficult time. Only God can bring the comfort and peace they need.

I will leave you with verses that God spoke over me with to encourage me:

Zephaniah 3:17-18 -- "The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing. (The Lord then says) The sorrows...I will remove from you."

Grace and peace.

No comments: